Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Birthday Past


Young Gail, originally uploaded by feathermar.

I didn't say, but it was my mom's birthday last week. March 28. She would have been 72. This picture is one of my favorites, because of her braids. Gail and I used to wear braids like that every day (and I still do sometimes!). I also love the awesome embroidered shirt!
I miss her a lot - it's been almost 13 years. I wish she could have met all of the babies (now kids!) and been there with advice and squishy hugs and met my Andy and known us as grown ups.
For her birthday, we would have gotten her a bunch of stuff she didn't want, because she was terrible with her lists (we are a birthday/christmas list oriented family). She always asked for something for the house - like new dishtowels - and we'd be like, we'll get you new dishtowels on Saturday, but what do you want for your BIRTHDAY?
My pop had brought out her old pocketbook that still had some stuff in it, and it still smells the same. It has a measuring tape (who do you think taught me?) a mirror and her wallet. She maybe would have loved knitting the way that I love knitting. She liked to make stuff and fix stuff.
But I think of her always and do my best to follow what WOULD have been her advice (I hear it in my head even when it is the OPPOSITE of what I want to do!). She is remembered. She is missed.

2 comments:

gail said...

beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Nicely said Heather!!
kathyc